Major strengths of IRRI and contributions to the HRDC include:
- Research on enhancing hybrid heterosis and improving hybrid seed production yields, including research on rice genetics and breeding, rice general management, and production practices for specific inbred parents and hybrid combinations.
- Research on the genetic control of key traits for hybrid rice by exploiting rice genome sequence information and advances in gene editing, transformation, and bioinformatics.
- Development of new traits, parental lines, and hybrids with high yield and multiple resistance to pest and disease by exploiting IRRI’s publicly available germplasm collection.
- Potential capacity to lead the evaluation, registration, licensing, and promotion of value-adding biotech traits for hybrid rice, as well as provide guidance on best practices for regulatory requirements for biotech traits.
- Research on improving grain quality, including developing methods for grain quality testing at the early stages of hybrid rice development.
- Worldwide and regional research collaboration with national partners, including experience through the International Network for Genetic Evaluation of Rice (INGER), in exchange of germplasm and processing of associated intellectual property, quarantine, biosafety requirements, exchange of scientific expertise and information, and multi-location testing of new parents, hybrids, and breeding lines through various IRRI breeding networks and consortia.
- Research on soil and crop management to realize the full yield potential of hybrid rice under both favorable and unfavorable conditions.
- In collaboration with research partners and the rice industry, providing information on hybrid rice technology and associated best management practices to farmers using information and communication technology and other means for information dissemination.
- Training and capacity-building capabilities, including holding various training courses and the use of IRRI’s Rice Knowledge Bank and e-learning courses.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the economic, social, and environmental impact of hybrid rice technologies within and across countries.
- Policy research to support national advocacy for further development and use of hybrid rice technology.
Hybrid Rice Development Consortium
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Philippines
Tel: +63 2 580 5600 or +63 2 845 0563
Fax: +63 2 580 5699 or +63 2 845 0606
all rights reserved